Writing is both an art and a science.
The “art” of writing involves discovering your unique “voice” and having fun incorporating creative wordplay that is both meaningful and engaging. The skill of storytelling is also crucial in holding readers’ attention.
The “science” is correct grammar, spelling and also using data to discover what titles and sub-topics work and what doesn’t.
Tim Ferriss, who wrote the best-selling book “The 4-Hour Work Week“, used Google Ads to test his headlines and sub-topics before publishing and marketing his book. That type of science and data mining before marketing the book led it to become an International Bestseller.
So what makes a great writer?
The art of being a great writer involves the use of creative and literary techniques to effectively communicate ideas and emotions to an audience.
Here are some key elements that make for good writing:
A great writer has the ability to craft a compelling story that captures the reader’s attention and holds it throughout the piece. This includes creating well-developed characters, a clear plot, and a satisfying ending.
A great writer has a unique and distinct voice that sets them apart from others. This voice is the way they express themselves and their ideas, and it’s what makes their writing stand out.
A great writer has a recognizable and consistent writing style that is their own. This style is the way they use language, including grammar, vocabulary, and sentence structure, to express their ideas and emotions.
A great writer has the ability to evoke emotions in their readers through their writing. This can be achieved through the use of vivid imagery, descriptive language, and evocative storytelling.
A great writer has the ability to persuade their readers to see things from a different perspective or to take a certain action. This can be achieved through the use of logical arguments, evidence, and persuasive techniques.
A great writer is able to think outside the box and come up with new and original ideas. They are not afraid to take risks and experiment with different forms and styles of writing.
A great writer has the ability to revise their work and make it the best it can be. This includes editing for grammar, punctuation, and style, but also for the story and its pacing, and the characters and their motivations.
Being a great writer is not just about having good grammar and a large vocabulary, it’s about having the ability to effectively communicate ideas and emotions to an audience through the use of creative and literary techniques. It’s a combination of both science and art.
But how do you make money by freelance writing as an online side hustle?
How to make money as a freelance writer
Freelance writing is a great way to make money if you have a passion for writing and the ability to communicate effectively.
Here are some tips on “how to make money” as a freelance writer:
- Find clients: One of the most important things you need to do as a freelance writer is to find clients. There are a few ways to do this, such as through online job boards, social media, or networking.
- Create a presence on Upwork and Freelancer: These are great places to find clients looking for writers. These platforms allow you to create a profile, showcase your work, and bid on projects that align with your skills and experience.
- Social media: Social media platforms such as LinkedIn and Twitter can also be useful for finding clients. Connect with people in your industry and let them know you’re available for freelance writing work.
- Networking: It is also an effective way to find clients. Attend industry events, join writing groups or clubs, and let people know you’re a freelance writer.
- Build a portfolio: A portfolio is a collection of your writing samples that you can show to potential clients. It is important to have a variety of writing samples in your portfolio, such as blog posts, articles, and web content. Having a portfolio will also help you stand out from other freelancers and make it easier for clients to understand your writing style and expertise.
- Set your rates: As a freelance writer, you will be responsible for setting your own rates. It is important to research the going rates for freelance writing in your industry and to set your rates accordingly. Be prepared to negotiate with clients, but don’t undervalue your services.
- Market yourself: In order to make money as a freelance writer, you need to market yourself and your services. Building a personal brand can be done through social media, email, or even through your own website and blog. You can also reach out to potential clients directly, but make sure to do your research and tailor your pitch to the specific client or project.
- Be professional: Being professional is important when working as a freelance writer. Make sure to meet deadlines, communicate effectively with clients, and deliver high-quality work. Building a reputation as a reliable and professional writer will help you attract new clients and maintain long-term relationships.
Wrapping it up
It’s important to continue learning and developing your writing skills. Read and write as much as possible, take writing courses, and stay informed about the latest trends and developments in your industry. The daily “practice” of writing will take you from good to great.
Overall, making money as a freelance writer is a great way to turn your passion for writing into a successful side hustle. With some effort and dedication, you can find clients, build a portfolio, and market yourself as a professional writer.